How to Pronounce English Words and Names
This is a short and sweet guide to help with english pronunciation. First let's explain what are vowels and consonants. There are 5 vowels in English language: A, E, I, O, U(Sometimes Y is considered a vowel). There are 21 consonants in English: B, C, D, F, G, H, J, K, L, M, N, P, Q, R, S, T, V, W, X. Sometimes Y(is often) and Z can also be consonants.
- 1. At the end of a word if a vowel is followed by a consonant then the vowel is pronounced short.
Example words would be: s(o)n, h(a)d, tir(e)d.
- 2. If at the end of a word a vowel is followed by two consonants then the vowel is short.
Example words for this case would be: h(a)nd, w(i)ll, runn(i)ng.
- 3. When a word ends with a vowel, then it will be pronounced long.
Example words are: g(o), abl(e), w(e).
- 4. Words ending with an E will make the first vowel long. The E at the end will be short.
Examples: smil(e), alon(e), amaz(e).
- 5. If vowels are next to each other then the second vowel is silent and the first vowel is long. Examples: tra(i)n, fa(i)n.
- 6. Breaking words and names into syllables. When a consonant is following a vowel, then that consonant will be in the next syllable. Example: pro|gram.
- 7. If a vowel is followed by two consonants then they will be split. The first consonant will stay in the first syllable and the second in the next. Example: sub|ject.
English alphabetic list of phonetic pronunciations
Letters in the English alphabet can have many different correct pronunciations. Depending on the other letters nearby. This is a list of different pronunciations to get a general idea what sound each letter makes.
- A - æ, ā, ah, ā-uh, uh
- B - buh
- C - kuh, suh
- D - duh
- E - eh, ee, silent
- F - fuh
- G - guh, juh
- H - huh, silent
- I - ah-ee, ĭ
- J - juh
- K - kuh
- L - luh, ul
- M - muh
- N - nuh
- O - ah, ō, uh, oo, ů
- P - puh
- Q - kwuh
- R - ruh, ur
- S - suh, zuh
- T - tuh, duh, N, silent, stopped tuh
- U - uh, yoo, oo, ů
- V - vuh
- W - wuh, silent
- X - ks, zuh
- Y - yuh, ee, ah-ee (i), ĭ
- Z - zuh
Search For Name Pronunciations
Pronunciationof.com is a free online dictionary that helps you learn how to pronounce names and words. We have created various examples and audio samples to help you get the correct pronunciation in English.